A house is bound to have wires and cables. Even people living off the grid have some kind of wiring scheme to sustain the various systems working in the house. Many houses have pest infestation; it is a fairly common occurrence. These pests and bugs not only harm the furniture and food items but many of these start chewing the wires and cables also. Mice and other species of rodents are the most dangerous pests when it comes to damage to the cables and wires.
Termites and other pests also damage the house wires in some way but rodents have an affinity to the rubber protected cables and most of the times they end up chewing the wires. Some of the ways to prevent this from happening are:
- Prevent rodents from entering your home. Seal any open spaces or holes in the areas from which they can enter the house. Even the smallest of these holes could allow free entry of the rodents.
- Try using some rat poison and kill them preventing damage to the cables.
- Take the help from a professional and take their help in learning how to get rid of rats in house.
- There are specific devices that emit sounds that only rodents can hear and they hate the sounds of this frequency. Use of such ultrasound devices will help in getting rid of the mice.
- Spray the area around the wire boxes and wires with a rat deterrent substance.
- Squirrels and rats are inquisitive by nature. You can use some strong chemicals near the entry points that will deter them from entering. These may include, cloves. Garlic, onion, and ammonia etc.
- You can use liquid mixing jalapenos, pepper powder, and even Tabasco sauce and spray this liquid on the cables and wires. This will deter rodents from chewing them but this process will have to be repeated every couple of days.
Wires and cables are not only essential but any damage may lead to dangerous consequences. Hence it is important that the cables and wires are kept safe from any attack by the pests, especially the rodent variety.