BeBop Sensors, Inc. www.bebopsensors.com, and KMI†have†announced its first product, the BeBop Wearable Smart Fabric Sensor, an ultra thin wearable smart fabric sensor that measures all aspects of physicality, including bend, location, motion, rotation, angle and torque.†Employing BeBopís patented proprietary Monolithic Fabric Sensor Technology, BeBop fabric sensors continuously provide real-time reporting on force, x/y location, bend, twist, size, stretch and motion for markets, including clothing and protective wear, shoes, healthcare devices, athletic equipment, automotive, robotics, aerospace, gaming, biometrics, prosthetics, recycling monitors and appliance markets.
Unlike other wearable sensors on the market today that only measure physiology (EKG, EMG), electrical conductivity or breathing, BeBop measures actual physicality to sense and display 3D maps of data.†Fundamental, tested, and extensible with over a million sensors already in daily use through KMIís musical instrument products, BeBopís Monolithic Fabric Sensors integrate sensors, traces, and electronics into a single piece of fabric to provide greater sensitivity, resolution, range of deployment, and robustness — all with a tiny size.
Created for the rapidly-growing wearable technology market, BeBop sensor technology was created after six years of developing smart fabric sensors for more expressive musical instruments, such as KMIís QuNexus and QuNeo keyboards.† After being approached by numerous companies requesting KMIís fabric sensor technology, KMI launched spin-off company BeBop Sensors to fulfill the demand.
BeBopís variety of solutions available now for integration into new wearable products:
- Wearable Controllers: †for sleeves of jackets or shirts to connect to smartphones to answer calls, adjust volume or select songs, all while the smartphone remains in the userís pocket.
- 1 mm Thin Shoe Insoles: †measures gait, pressure, contact style, fit, and flexure of toes and feet.
- Planar, spherical or cylindrical geometries: †used as pressure maps, head sensors or handles of athletic equipment.
- Smart Yoga and Gym Mats:† show hand and foot pressure for teaching.
- Grip Sensors:† detail finger positions for baseball, golf, etc.
- Car Seat Sensors:† senses airbag fill volume and passenger weight.
- Car Steering Wheels: †sense driver alertness.
- Weight Lifting Gloves:† indicate weight and even load.
- Foot Volume Sensing:† anticipate Diabetic events.
- Cycling Shoe Inserts:† power meters.
ďBeBop is a natural step for KMI, where we have diligently tuned fabrics, geometries, and production processes allowing us to ship more than†1 million sensors to some of the most demanding musicians in the world,Ē said Keith McMillen, Founder, KMI and BeBop Sensors. †ďAll musical instruments are essentially sensors with forms of acoustic processing attached. †The same care and creativity used to build our instruments will serve well for our non-musical customers as we expand into the wearables market.Ē
BeBop is now offering custom turnkey sensor solutions for OEMs to incorporate into their products, ranging from basic sensors to complete wireless solutions with advanced power management. †Visualization programs for any design with an easily-modified SDK (Software Developerís Kit) allows manufacturers to create custom apps by choosing from a variety of 2D and 3D representations and colors or by driving the BeBop data into whole new applications.